Monday, April 16, 2012

Misadventures in Guiding


Where I Used To Live
Well I am going to tell you guys a story that happened to me in the fall of 2003.  


I was 19 years old and was up in Ontario Canada for the summer helping my grandfather out with guiding hunters, tending baits, and setting up tree stands.

I was on my way to one of the baits carrying a bait bucket and as I walked into this particular bait I was met with an odd feeling.  While I was in the middle of filling the bait barrel a momma bear and her 2 cubs came walking up a game trail to eat from the barrel and she and her cubs stopped in the woods out of the clearing and waited for me to finish what I was doing.

When I was about half done a male bear came into the opposite side of the clearing and upon seeing the male bear the female bear charged the male bear and ran him off to protect her 2 cubs and also protecting myself in the process.  After she ran the male bear off she waited patiently for me to finish what I was doing and kept a careful eye on her 2 cubs who decided they were going to start playing in the clearing maybe 30 feet from me.  I guess she did not consider me a threat to her cubs.

So after all these events I finished filling the barrel and walked out of the bait and back to the truck and explained to my grandfather what had happened and was met with a lot of shock.  I will go on to share some more of my guiding, fishing, and other outdoor experiences later on throughout the rest of my blog posts.  Well I appreciate you taking the time to read my posts if you do sit down and I hope you enjoyed it.




No comments:

Post a Comment